Mysteria Misc. Maxima: December 7th, 2012
December 7, 2012
Mysteria Misc. Maxima is a weekly feature which brings together links on religion and esotericism from around the internet.
- The Vatican has established an “exorcism hotline” that you can call for all your demonic possession concerns. (The Independent via @PaulToner)
- Bristol University’s Christian Union says women can’t speak at their meetings unless their husband is with them. Also, every Tuesday is ladies night, where PBR is half-price and women can be exchanged for a bag of coins and some cows. (Jezebel)
- Holy crap—it’s Hanukkah, a lesser Jewish holiday that non-Jews think is really important because it coincides with Christmas! Whatever. Here are 27 menorahs to keep your flame alive. (Buzzfeed)
- One writer loves the Hanukkah latkes, but can do without the family dramz. (Heeb)
- Meanwhile, hipsters also enjoy Hanukkah, but only ironically since they were into Judaism before it was cool. (Denver Post)
- A Mithraeum opens to the public in Rome. (The Art Newspaper via Rogue Classicism)
- Archaeologists have discovered the gate to hell…or ancient Hades at least. (Yahoo)
- Some ancient “playing cards” have been discovered. No word as to which one Tzaddi is attributed to. (Live Science)
- Ancient Egypt’s got 99 problems but a demon ain’t…actually yeah, demons were a problem back then. (History of the Ancient World)
- Canada maintains that you can’t pretend to be a witch or practice fake magic. Presumably real witches who practice real magic are safe from the feds. Assuming you can define what that is, and you probably can’t, so yeah, problematic. (The Wild Hunt)
- What happens when you take a magical oath? (Ankhafnakhonsu)
- One group not taking any oaths are Pagans and Wiccans who want to join Freemasonry in Florida, where the Grand Lodge has banned those who follow polytheistic faiths. (The Wild Hunt)
- Of course, while Pagans rage at Masonic discrimination, no one seems to give a flip that they don’t admit women. No link, just saying maybe you should care about that, too.
- Magical mystics may want to check out this article on the visions particular to each initiatic grade. (IAO131)
- Geomancy isn’t the most mainstream occult science, so why not familiarize yourself with it by learning about the figure coniuntio. (Digital Ambler)
- Magical practice is pretty varied. Here’s one attempt to define it. (The Allergic Pagan)
- Go behind the scenes of Philadelphia’s punk rock temple. Actually–its Thelesis Lodge! All hail the new aeon! (Hidden City Philadelphia via @HermeticLibrary)
- Finally, those who enjoy Sunday brunch—And who doesn’t!—will be thrilled that a court has upheld one restaurant’s decision to give discounts to patrons who bring in a church bulletin. So enjoy your pancakes and cantaloupe, Church of Satan. May the forks be with you. (Consumerist)
Photo by oskay.